Saturday, February 3, 2007

Procrastination

So one would think that on a day when it's snowing so much that you can no longer discern the road from the sidewalk, would be a perfect day to get some major homework done for class.

Or not.

I have not done one productive thing today, save for showering, which is an accomplishment.

So far, my roommate and I have watched:

"A Knight's Tale"
"10 Things I Hate About You"
"Father of the Bride"

And later on, starting at 8, "Legally Blonde" is on, which I have to watch... because I like that movie a lot. I do have quite a bit of reading to get done, and with the Superbowl on tomorrow, I most likely won't have time to do it then. And since my roommate finally turned off the TV at the start of "Father of the Bride Part II," I thought it would be a good idea to write about how much I procrastinate, rather than actually do something productive.

-- -- -- --

The Marriam-Webster and Garfield dictionary defines procrastination as thus:

procrastinate: to put off usu. habitually doing something that should be done; dawdle; delay

So, to really be considered a procrastinator, you have to constantly be putting off homework, chores, work etc. That would make being a procrastinator more of a condition, like being an alcoholic or a smoker.

I ask: Can one be addicted to procrastinating?

This is a hard question for me to answer, because I've always been one to feel guilty if I put off, or don't do all together, a homework assignment or project. But could someone actually get pleasure out of not doing their homework, and to become a chronic "not-doing-homework-er"? Perhaps those kids in high school who never did their homework were chronic procrastinators. Instead of simply not wanting to do it, they put it off so much that they walked into class the next time without anything to turn in.

I suppose this is possible.

As much as I would like to ramble about this subject some more, I truly feel like I should do something productive this evening... before "Legally Blonde" is on.