Friday, April 13, 2007

Looking Back

I can't believe how quickly my first year of college went. I still have a week and a half left, but its basically over now.

At the beginning of the year, I really hated college. I missed my family and my high school friends, and I didn't like being two hours away from home.

I was really "depressed" at the beginning of the year. I felt like I didn't have many friends, and I spent a lot of time in my room with my roommate.

However, my life changed when my friend Sara from down the hall told me about this group she joined called Drive Safe Kalamazoo. It's a safe ride program run entriely by students.

Anyway, I joined it, and a few weeks into it, I was already friends with several people in the group, including a few members on the exec board. After Christmas break, I threw myself into DSK, and I volunteered almost every weekend, and sometimes twice a weekend. Then I applied to be on exec board for next year, and I got Co Director of Recruitment, Retention and Recognition.

When I got to know the other people in DSK, I finally felt like I had found a place where I belonged. Not to mention a lot of the people in DSK like country music! People talked to me, I talked to other people, and one of the things that made me most happy was that people knew my name. I always have more respect for people who manage to remember my name.

There are a few things about this year that I wish I could change, but that's not possible, and like goes on. But I'm glad that things got better as the year went on, and I'm actually enjoying my time here. Next year will be even more amazing.

I've learned a lot this year, and I think I have changed a little bit as a person, but not in a bad way.

Not to mention, the sun is shining today and the snow is melting!!

Have a wonderful day.