Thursday, April 12, 2007

Americans Kind of Suck

This topic is something I'm rather passionate about. And that is Gay Rights, and their ability to be married, or at least Legally Joined.

I read a news article in my school's newspaper today about a bill that was passed by the Washington State Legislature that gives homosexual couples the right to "visit a partner in the hospital, inherit the partner's property without a will and make funeral arrangements, among other things."

I whole heartily support this decision. This is a very important, while small, step for homosexuals in America.

What really bothered me about this article was the quotes from those who opposed the bill. Republican John Ahren said "There's no question about it, this is a bad, bad bill. This is really a sad day."

What I want to know is, why? Why are so many people against gay marriage? Why do people think this is such a horrible thing?

I understand that the Constitution of the United States states that marriage is between a man and a woman, but this was written by the same kind of people who used to kill women because they thought they were witches, and who enslaved people just because they were of a different color and spoke a different language.

The point I wish I could make to everyone is that if two guys or two girls want to get married, then it does not effect their life in any way. If you see two guys shopping together, holding hands even, then does your life get effected? No. If you see two women kissing, is your life changed for the worse? No. Besides, some perverted men ENJOY seeing two girls make out, so what's the problem? Geez.


Sure, if a man and a man are married, they won't have to buy tampons. Big deal. And if a woman and a woman get married, they won't have to buy condoms. Big deal.

A man and a woman are two people, a man and a man are two people, and a woman and a woman are two people. Two people make up a marriage. I fail to see the difference between same sex and different sexes. The only difference is the penis and the vagina.

If I could hear a good, well supported argument for why they shouldn't be married, maybe I'll reconsider my opinions. But no one will be able to make one up. They will use their own biased as factual evidence.

"Well it's not natural." Neither is incest in, but no one says anything. There's no law against that.

And with the amount of homeless children in the world, if same sex couples were able to adopt, then those children would have homes. Sure their lifestyle might be a little different, but I don't think children would grow up to be any worse if they had two moms or two dads. It would almost be the same as a child growing up in a single parent household, without the influence of one of the partners.

So come on America. Let's stop being selfish and let them get married.

I'm not done with this topic, by the way. There will be more to come about this.