Friday, January 28, 2011

Zingerman's Roadhouse - Really Good American Food

I went to this place with my book club group on Wednesday January 25, 2011.

This place not only has a large inside area, but a drive up trailer outside to order (I think) the same or at least similar food to what you can get inside. Pretty awesome.

The restaurant was kind of loud, so it wasn't the greatest place to be talking about books, but that wasn't a problem.

I was very impressed by the waiter we had. We was very knowledgeable about the food, where their ingredients come from, the drinks etc. I was impressed to hear about how they acquire a lot of their foods locally.

While we were sitting around talking and deciding what to order, the waiter brought us a free appetizer. We were all surprised and flattered. What he brought us was a plate of sweet potato fries with a side of sauce. The sauce was a combination of mayo and Frank's Red Hot Sauce (which is my favorite). Now, I don't normally like sweet potatoes, but this fries have almost turned me into a believer. With the sauce, it was perfection. So delicious.

For our meal, I ordered their original mac and cheese. I wish I could remember the ingredients, but I don't. While it was a smaller portion (and my original thought was "this is is?") the portion size was perfect. I ate it all, and was satisfied. The other ladies in my group really enjoyed their meals as well.

Finally, the waiter brought us a free dessert!! It was a chocolate pudding with raspberries and a little whip cream on it. Also yummy. He was pleasant when we asked to split up our bill into 5 separate bills, and I know I tipped well. I'm sure the others did too.

I loved this experience and would recommend it to anyone who loves American food, and more importantly, wants to support a place that buys their food locally.

Zingerman's Roadhouse
2501 Jackson Avenue
Ann Arbor, MI 48103