Monday, May 24, 2010

Why you gotta be an ass?

If you work at a restaurant/store/other retail/other service place, why would you answer the phone and be a total dick?

I feel like every time I call a place to ask a question, or set up an appointment, the person on the other end acts like I'm being a huge inconvenience by wanting to use their service or shop in their store. The constant rude conversations I've had on the phone with restaurant/store/other retail/other service places has made me have a huge fear of using the phone to talk to anyone, because I'm so sick of being treated rudely on the phone.

Today, I called a tattoo parlor to ask about getting my tattoo touched up. Now, I didn't get this particular tattoo done there, but there's no way in hell I'm driving two hours back to a city I hate just to get a few spots touched up. So I asked. And I asked all the questions I had to make sure I cover all the bases.

I would probably have an appointment to go get it touched up if the guy hadn't acted like a douche on the phone. I asked if they would charge for getting a tattoo touched up (expecting they would, nbd) and the guy says "Well yeah... cause if we didn't do it, we'd have to" making it sound like I'm a dumbass. Thanks dude. I feel bad being angry at the place because when I did get a tattoo done there, I really enjoyed my experience. But now I don't want to because he was angry sounding on the phone.

That is of course not the first time I've been treated rudely on the phone. But honestly, people who act like dicks makes me not want to be anywhere near the place I just called. Why do they act like I'm a huge inconvenience by wanting to use their service- thusly scaring me away? Oh well I guess.

Right now, I can only think of two places, recently, that weren't assholes on the phone. Those two are:

Kelly Services (a temp agency)
Medco.com's customer service

Both times I was treated nicely, and they didn't talk down to me like so many other places do. When I got off the phone with medco, I was happy and smiling because the woman was so nice. Is it so hard?

The best is when people act like assholes when you are already IN their restaurant/store/other retail/other service place. Once, I went to a hair salon to get my hair cut. There was one woman in there (who looked pissed off). After I sat there for a while, she told me that I would have to come back later, so I asked for an appointment. In a really bitchy way, she checked the computer to tell me a time when I could come back. So I left, feeling a little annoyed, but I wanted my hair cut.

When I did come back later, the woman was rude again! She asked me what I wanted to have done, and I told her I wanted quite a bit of hair cut off. Her attitude was so rude, I almost couldn't believe it. Why, if you went to cosmetology school to learn to cut hair and all that good stuff, then get a job at a place that performs that service, WHY would you act like having a paying customer is a big pain in the ass? Of course, this woman bypassed me and cut some elderly people's hair who hadn't been there half the time I spent sitting there. But in a way, I was okay with it, because I didn't want that bitch cutting my hair.

Luckily, the girl who did cut my hair was nicer, and we got along well cause we're both sarcastic. She apologized for my wait because she had a surprise perm she had to do. I forgave her, but not the other woman.

If you don't want to deal with people, go get a job that doesn't require giving customer service.

Maybe I should just change my attitude and start calling people out when they're rude, just to make them feel like assholes.